The following article was original published in CCR Magazine, January 2021. A PDF copy can be accessed here.
How can you ensure that both you and your teams are ready for the challenges ahead?
Having been in lockdown previously, we have all built up a lot of experience, but we do need to keep this under review.
From a personal perspective, I know I miss travelling and the direct interaction with our members. Writing this today it is snowing so another reason why travel is a challenge and getting outside for exercise.
Businesses continue to be under pressure, internally from management to deliver the results as well as from customers who still expect the same level of service when you are working from home and not in the office. Add to this your own anxieties about Covid-19 and we have a ‘circle of stress’.
Aside from the overt ramifications of the pandemic, which have driven drastic changes to working life and restricted freedom of movement, a surge in mental ill-health in 2020 has also been attributed to the coronavirus.
Also, the ‘B word’ is back on the agenda. We now have a Brexit deal, so this is sure to have an impact on your business depending on the industry sector you are in.
And as somebody mentioned to me this week, the amount of electronic traffic has increased massively. Perhaps try setting up ‘rules’ for e-mails.
So how do you get your teams fit for the new year? As follows are some suggestions. Apologies if you are already doing some version of these:
- Regular web meetings with the team.
- Ensure that you keep the team updated on what is happening in the company and the department.
- Regular one-to-one meetings with direct reports.
- Quickly work any personal team member problems.
- Make it a team goal to highlight system or
- Have a team member as the ‘go to’ for improvement ideas.
- Celebrate successes.
- Have a team hour once a week or bi-weekly with some fun activity.
- Keep connected so that you know what is new and what is in the news.
- Join a forum to be part of a community that shares challenges and solutions.
Upcoming (Virtual) Forums (February and March)
- 9 February – Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices Credit Forum (PMF)
- 16 February – International Credit Forum (ICF)
- 18 February – Fraud Prevention Network (FPN)
- 11-12 March – International Telecoms Risk Forum (ITRF)
- 17 March – International Media & Publishing Credit Forum (IMPF)
- 23 March – International Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Credit Forum (IPMF)
It is free to attend your first meeting – timing 9.30am for 10.00am start to 1.00pm close.
Wishing you all a Very Happy, Healthy and Successful New Year.